SMTP Banner

This is the Mailtraq Peer Support forum. Get assistance using and managing Mailtraq, and help others solve problems too.

SMTP Banner

Postby davethetechie » Tue Dec 08th, 2015 5:28am

Mailtraq 2.17.7.3560/ESMTP

Hi I am trying to set up Mailtraq to collect emails directly rather than through a POP3 account.
I have setup an A record of email.mycompany.com that resolves to my company static ip address and have setup an MX record of email.mycompany.com priority 10
I have left my original mx record of inbound.mycompany.com.netsolmail.net. as a fall back and given it a priority of 7
I have gone onto dnsstuff.com to check the two servers are function and had this come back on the SMTP Banner section.

81.133.13.168 | failed message send with: malformed line in response | 220 wardray-premise.com Ready for action (Mailtraq 2.17.7.3560/ESMTP)

Can anyone help with this please.

Thanks

David
Last edited by davethetechie on Tue Apr 25th, 2017 10:23am, edited 1 time in total.
davethetechie

Re: SMTP Banner

Postby jimhill » Wed Dec 09th, 2015 10:19pm

davethetechie wrote:Mailtraq 2.17.7.3560/ESMTP
Hi I am trying to set up Mailtraq to collect emails directly rather than through a POP3 account.

You can't collect mail via smtp, it's sent to you.

davethetechie wrote:I have setup an A record of email.mycompany.com that resolves to my company static ip address ...

I very much doubt that, the domain doesn't exist. If you must obfuscate, and I don't see any reason why you'd need to in this instance, please use example.com which was created explicitly for the purpose of examples.

davethetechie wrote:... and have setup an MX record of email.mycompany.com priority 10

Ditto.

davethetechie wrote:I have left my original mx record of inbound.mycompany.com.netsolmail.net. ...

Ditto again (sorry about the tautology). Oh, and don't add a dot to the end of a domain unless you know what it means (unless it's at the end of a sentence, of course).

davethetechie wrote:... as a fall back and given it a priority of 7.

Ah no, you have that backwards - mx record priority works the other way around. Your fallback record is actually your primary - 7 being less than 10.

davethetechie wrote:I have gone onto dnsstuff.com to check the two servers are function and had this come back on the SMTP Banner section.

Sorry, but you haven't made it clear which of the two mx records (that's mx records, note, not servers; I think you only have one server but I could easily be wrong given the degree of obfuscation you've employed).

davethetechie wrote:81.133.13.168 | failed message send with: malformed line in response | 220 wardray-premise.com Ready for action (Mailtraq 2.17.7.3560/ESMTP)

Can anyone help with this please.

I'm not at all sure that I can but I'll give it a go.

The error message suggests that Mailtraq announced its domain as wardray-premise.com. Assuming that you haven't obfuscated that as well (If you didn't, since you've obfuscated everything else, why didn't you?) That resolves to 194.106.223.202 which, in turn, reverse resolves to pig.ourshack.com.

That error message also suggests that the connection came from 81.133.13.168 for which the ptr record is email.wardray-premise.com. I'm assuming that ip is in in-addr.arpa format since 168.13.133.81 doesn't have a ptr record.

Colour me confused but that could be at the root of your problem so I can only hope that the above is helpful in some way. I'm using an Android phone here and the DNS lookup facilities are very limited so there could be multiple ptr records for that ip address which aren't being revealed to me.

(I must check whether there's a proper DNS lookup app for Android).

Cheers
jimhill
Expert User

Postby Martin Clayton » Thu Dec 10th, 2015 11:20am

jimhill wrote:(I must check whether there's a proper DNS lookup app for Android).

(I've heard good things about he.net network tools but I've only used the apple version.)
Martin Clayton
Expert User

Postby jimhill » Thu Dec 10th, 2015 1:47pm

Martin Clayton wrote:
jimhill wrote:(I must check whether there's a proper DNS lookup app for Android).

(I've heard good things about he.net network tools but I've only used the apple version.)

I've got HE Tools but the DNS module is typically poor. Here's the output for my own ptr record...
Code: Select all
mail.rdns.org
...Which is better than nothing, but only just.

There's no direct port of bind in the app store but I've since found "Screaming Net Tools" which does implement dig quite well. Here's the output for the same query...
Code: Select all
    Found?: Yes
Run time: 1s331ms
Host: 217.151.101.100
Type: PTR
Class: IN
NS:
Date: 2015-12-10  5:29:35 p.m.
; Screaming NetTools 3.21
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 49811
;; flags: qr rd ra ; qd: 1 an: 2 au: 0 ad: 0
;; QUESTIONS:
;;   100.101.151.217.in-addr.arpa., type = PTR, class = IN

;; ANSWERS:
100.101.151.217.in-addr.arpa.   86400   IN   CNAME   100.96-29.101.151.217.in-addr.arpa.
100.96-29.101.151.217.in-addr.arpa.   10800   IN   PTR   mail.rdns.org.

;; AUTHORITY RECORDS:

;; ADDITIONAL RECORDS:

;; Message size: 97 bytes
;; Query time: 1331 ms
;; SERVER: <default>
... which is much more like it.

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shifteightgeneration.android.snettools>
jimhill
Expert User

Return to Mailtraq Support