Be Kind To Mailkeep

Get help using the Mailkeep mail forwarding service

Be Kind To Mailkeep

Postby Malc » Wed May 02nd, 2012 12:34am

I'm seeing another dictionary spam attack on one of my domains. The Mailtraq I use, 2.16.3.3026 (if it ain't broke etc.), is configured to tarpit spammers.

Options | Services | SMTP | Abuse | Enable Tarpitting

I'd rather not tarpit Mailkeep, but I don't see where I can control that. Is there a way of excluding an IP from tarpitting without white-listing it completely?
Malc
Expert User

Location: London^WSurrey^WEssex^WCambs^WLondon^WEssex^WLancs^WEssex

Re: Be Kind To Mailkeep

Postby Elric Pedder » Thu May 03rd, 2012 1:56pm

Malc wrote:I'm seeing another dictionary spam attack on one of my domains. The Mailtraq I use, 2.16.3.3026 (if it ain't broke etc.), is configured to tarpit spammers.

Options | Services | SMTP | Abuse | Enable Tarpitting

I'd rather not tarpit Mailkeep, but I don't see where I can control that. Is there a way of excluding an IP from tarpitting without white-listing it completely?

I appreciate your concern for Mailkeep's well-being. That said one of the nice things about tarpits is that their effect is proportional to how much of the server's resources are dedicated to SMTP overhead. In the case of serious spam-sources, a very high proportion of server thread-time is spent on the overhead (connecting to servers, issuing MAIL FROM and RCPT TO commands, and so on) so the tarpit has a far more damaging effect. In Mailkeep's case, it would have almost no effect by itself.

Specifically regarding Mailtraq, though: the description is a little inaccurate as the tarpit only applies to failed relay attempts. The other causes were removed some time ago and the description wasn't updated. I have just tweaked this so that machines in the LAN list don't get tarpitted -- next build as usual.
Mailtraq Development and Escalation Support
Novitraq Incorporated
Elric Pedder
Mailtraq Escalation Support

Return to Mailkeep Support