News for April 2007

Updates on work in progress and information on new features.

News for April 2007

Postby Elric Pedder » Tue Apr 03rd, 2007 1:34pm

Hi all,

A number of features are going in to Mailtraq that will not affect most people so it can be rather difficult to see what we are up to. I'm hoping that I can manage a regular post here to let people know what we are doing and what we have in the pipeline.

Vista

Microsoft Windows Vista is the next generation of the Windows Operating System (as though you didn't know that). In an effort to address the security issues that the Internet has brought, Microsoft has made many changes to the way applications are managed. Most developers have good and bad things to say about this and we are very much the same. I, for one, do appreciate placing limitations on what software can do to your computer without you knowing. On the other hand the burden is suddenly placed on the developer to meet a lot of new challenges.

The largest issue affecting Mailtraq is that Vista no longer allows services to interact with the desktop. This has hit a lot of products very hard. Another is that applications are severely limited in terms of what parts of the computer they can modify. Vista goes even further to virtualise directory structures in order to fool older applications in to thinking everything is OK when it isn't. The many restrictions are not documented in one place so we've been discovering some of them as we go.

We started Vista development in Q4 of 2006 and produced a Vista compliant version of Mailtraq before the November release. This version was given initially to clients who requested.

The most significant change to Mailtraq was to separate the user interface and the service in to two applications. This a good change and it will be very useful to users operating Mailtraq on shared computers.

Unsurprisingly, very few of our users have migrated to Vista and as a result we have not put as much attention on it. We are, however, shifting development on to Vista platforms as soon as practical to make sure any issues that crop up are addressed quickly.

In time the Vista edition will be merged with the main product and all users will benefit from the advantages of the new developments.

AFX

Recently we introduced a new database system and so far it is proving to be a very effective engine. Performance has improved and administrators are finding it easier to manage a set of files directly associated with objects. Full text indices are now stored directly within the files and archives are now stored in the database\mail\archive directory.

When Mailtraq is not running, these files can be freely moved around. You can move files out of the Mailtraq directory structure and archive them. The file name is the mailslot name with any odd characters replaced with underscores and their hex equivalent appended after a dollar symbol.

Outlook Synchronization

A priority development over the last month or so has been a replacement for the Mailtraq Assistant synchronization element. The new synchronization system will be a separate application that does only this one task. It communicates with Outlook using MAPI which means it will be faster, more reliable, and will not result in security dialogues popping up.

We expect to be releasing this application to public beta in the next week or two.

And that is it for now. If you have any questions please feel free to reply to this post.

Regards,
- Elric
Mailtraq Development and Escalation Support
Novitraq Incorporated
Elric Pedder
Mailtraq Escalation Support

Re: News for April 2007

Postby Nico » Wed Apr 04th, 2007 12:06am

Elric Pedder wrote:Vista
The largest issue affecting Mailtraq is that Vista no longer allows services to interact with the desktop.........

Unsurprisingly, very few of our users have migrated to Vista and as a result we have not put as much attention on it. We are, however, shifting development on to Vista platforms as soon as practical to make sure any issues that crop up are addressed quickly.

In time the Vista edition will be merged with the main product and all users will benefit from the advantages of the new developments.
Next Month I am back from my trip in Asia. I will replace my old P2 for a more powerful machine with Longhorn installed.
I hope the changes made for Vista will apply for Longhorn.

AFX
Recently we introduced a new database system and so far it is proving to be a very effective engine. Performance has improved and administrators are finding it easier to manage a set of files directly associated with objects. Full text indices are now stored directly within the files and archives are now stored in the database\mail\archive directory.

The first attempt to convert my database went wrong, maybe a mistake by me or because I use a Client/server setup.
I am leaving the country in about 1.5 week.
I don't have plans to change the current setup, but I will try it again when I am back.

Outlook Synchronization
It communicates with Outlook using MAPI which means it will be faster, more reliable, and will not result in security dialogues popping up.

This is a great improvement Elric,
The reason I didn't used the outlook synchronization was the warning pop ups as I think users will click to fast to accept this pop up even it is something like a virus.
Nico
Expert User

Postby snvpi » Mon Apr 09th, 2007 1:36pm

It is great to hear this:
"It communicates with Outlook using MAPI which means it will be faster, more reliable, and will not result in security dialogues popping up."

Quick question. Do you know if this is a MAPI implementation that includes direct manipulation of mail, calendar, contacts, tasks, etc. on server stored items? If so, that would be great!

I posted previously on the forum (Posted: Fri Jan 19th, 2007 4:44pm) that we could really use this feature. I have been stalling a switch to a different mailserver as I wait for this feature.

Thanks a bunch, I look forward to a successful implementation.
snvpi

Postby snvpi » Tue Jun 19th, 2007 1:25pm

I am assuming that MOS is this MAPI tool mentioned here. And I am also assuming that it doesn't include MAPI connections to email.
Is that correct?
snvpi

Postby Elric Pedder » Tue Jun 19th, 2007 4:56pm

snvpi wrote:I am assuming that MOS is this MAPI tool mentioned here. And I am also assuming that it doesn't include MAPI connections to email.
Is that correct?

That's correct. It is only for synchronising contacts, appointments and tasks.
Mailtraq Development and Escalation Support
Novitraq Incorporated
Elric Pedder
Mailtraq Escalation Support

Return to Mailtraq News